I know, we’re living in the period of automatons and remote web, we have a space project and ICBM’s, we arrived on Mars, we have cross breed autos and the majority of us don’t leave home without no less than 3 diverse electronic gadgets. Alright then, what is this fellow jabbering about? Bow hunting? Robin Hood, is that you?
But hold your horses and listen here folks: bow hunting is an art form of the highest sort! Also, and most importantly, in a survival situation, knowing how to hunt using what nature provides abundantly may save your life one day. It’s a matter of when, not if, so be prepared!
Now, here comes the disclaimer: I don’t advocate the returning to a “better” age, when we used to hunt “wabbit” Pocahontas-style. I just want to point out a few important things every prepper should be aware of before discarding the idea of using a bow, that’s all!
The obvious advantages of bows and arrows are quite a few and, in a wilderness survival scenario, nothing beats a bow and arrow setup.
Why Use a Bow?
Why are bows and arrows awesome? Stick with me and check this out:
- You can make an improvised bow/arrow anytime. You don’t need that fancy Sporting Goods $300 Hunger Games kit. All you need is hardwood, like maples, ash, yew, pines, or aspen.
- Arrows can be produced using cattail (for instance) or whittled from different sorts of woods. Cedar wood is the best bolt material as indicated by numerous individuals, since it doesn’t twist so effortlessly.
- The arrowheads can be chipped from stones (flint would be the best) or you can harden the tip of the arrow itself by burning it to a point in the fire. The bow string can be made from the inner bark of various plants, such as milkweed or you can use animal hide and even the cords of someone’s jeans (in a survival situation you can use your imagination).
As you can see, bows and arrows are the ultimate DIY weapons.
- It’s an extremely versatile (lethal) weapon, particularly in the event that you possess a separable bow, that falls to pieces in three pieces
- It’s very affordable, even free if you’re DIY-ing.
- It’s an adaptable weapon that may be utilized for different things for chasing as well as for angling as well; you can utilize bow strings in a large number of situations, similar to bow drill for making shoot, for making catches and traps, for jog line angling and so on…